Thursday, May 14, 2020

Old-style Gubmint versus the current risk-averse, high-cost model

An Interest commenter avers that in the olden days, if the Gubmint got involved, Things got Done, referring to my exploits on the Cat D7 in Invercargill..

My rejoinder:
- No TLA DC's or Modest Fees. 
No Worksafe (the old D7 was sans muffler, hearing protection unknown). 
- No Traffic Management (I walked the D7 all over public roads on planks and traffic had to take its chance). 
- No site inspectors (I once had the scraper fall sideways off of a 7m high stockpile because some eejit on a loader had excavated the side of the thing unbeknownst to me, and had an exciting hour maneuvering dozer and scraper to the point where I could back the entire rig straight down the side and off the heap). 

It was a much less regulation-mad, low-key Gubmint. Zero comparison with the risk-averse, safety-mad, high-cost model one sees everywhere now. And then folks gape in wonderment at plot prices that are in Buzz Lightyear territory....

No comments: